Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Magneto: Eisemann to Slick

Yellow T-Craft at Oshkosh 2004

According to the logbook, my supposed 0 time SMOH engine had new Slick magnetos installed when it was overhauled.  But by the time I got it out of its storage situation, the Slick mags had disappeared...replaced by two disgusting looking Eisemann magnetos. I guess someone needed some nice magnetos and figured noone would notice if the new Slicks were replaced by crusty old Eisemanns.  And, in fact, I didn't notice until I got the engine home and took an inventory of what I had.

My first thought was that the ex-owner of the engine probably had two new Slick magnetos sitting on his kitchen table and would welcome a chance to send them to me.  So I wrote a nice letter suggesting that there had been a minor mistake and I was had HIS old Eisemanns while he had MY Slicks.  I offered to switch them back, I would even pay the freight both ways!

Well, that didn't work.  So next I checked into getting the Eisemanns overhauled.  I was able to find two places that still worked on Eisemann magnetos.  They quoted around $300 for each to return the old dogs to airworthy condition.  About $600 total.  Add in a new ignition harness, and new plugs and the total came to almost $900.  Seemed like a lota money to be running 60 year old electrical gear.

I got on the phone one day and started calling around.  Mattituk quoted $950 for two new Slicks, new harness, and 8 shielded plugs.  The only catch was that I'd have to trade in the old Eisemanns.  OK  Two weeks later, my old A-65 was sporting an entirely new ignition system.   

Link to Engine Paint and Baffels,   Cylinders Overhaul,   Compression Test

Return to Index

No comments: