Friday, May 5, 2006

Yoke Centerpiece

My yokes came without the plastic centerpieces, and indeed they seem to be getting hard to find.  I saw a Taylorcraft yoke, with centerpiece, on eBay and bought it thinking I could make a copy of the centerpiece.  But when it arrived I saw the plastic was warped and deformed.  So I was faced with making a mold from scratch.

I started with a 3inch styrofoam ball like is used by hobbyists to make Christmas ornaments.  I cut the foam ball in half (Photo 2) on the band saw, sanded the radius slightly flatter on top, and then epoxyed it onto a plywood board.  I cut three sections of broom handle and epoxyed them to the plywood in the position of the yoke spokes.  Photo 3 shows the resulting plug.

After giving the plug 3 coats of wax, I covered it with fiberglass to produce the mold. (Photo 4)  I wanted threaded inserts in the finished part so I made a core for the mold as shown in Photo 5.   The core is a piece of 1/4 plywood cut to fit into the spoke cutouts in the mold.  Three 8-32 screws hold 3 nuts in the correct position in the mold.

The layup procedure is to wet out two layers of glass in the mold, then pour 1/4 inch of resin with finely chopped glass in the bottom of the mold.  Next the core is inserted.  After the resin sets, the 8-32 screws are unscrewed leaving the nuts trapped in the 1/4 inch resin-glass layer.

The parts are removed from the mold, sanded and painted.  The backing pieces receive no nut inserts but are drilled instead.  Use the mold core as a drilling template.  Photo 6

You can trim the edges of the centerpieces with a strip of vinyl electrical tape, then screw them in place on the yokes.  Photo 7

The little aluminum inserts are made by clamping aluminum disks between two steel washers Photo 8, and then hammering the edge down around the washer.  Photo 9 Then the insert (with its decal!) is epoxyed in place on the centerpiece.  Photo 10

Link to Yoke BearingsDecals, Fiberglass Molds

Return to Index

No comments: