Friday, April 7, 2006

Documentation, Organization

I use digital photos, but have found them of limited use...I seem to always take the  photo from the wrong angle and often I can't find the photo I want when I need it.

I keep a disassembly log that includes drawings and notes to myself.  My log is an ordinary school notebook.  (Photo 1)

I use a clip board to keep a running list of the parts I'm going to need.  I replace all AN hardware so the list gets rather long and complex.  As my budget permits, I order supplies from Aircraft Spruce and cross them off the list.

I label parts with masking tape and a sharpie marker.  I always label up, down, fore, aft, etc. so I can get the parts back in the right position.  (Photo 2)

I use 3X5 cards to schedule tasks ("Blast and Paint Gear Vees" for example).  I arrange the cards in order and post them on a project board on the wall of my shop.  (Photo 3) As I complete a task, I take the card off the project board and gleefully toss it in the trash.

Return to Index

No comments: