Monday, November 14, 2005

Rivet tools

There's not all that much sheet metal work involved in restoring a classic airplane, but there is always some minor repair work that needs to be done, so you need basic rivet tools.

A modest rivet gun (a TP83) is shown in Photo 1.  In addition to the rivet gun you need rivet sets.  I have three: a 1/8" set, a 3/32" set and a flush set.  The flush set needs a different type of retainer, so you need two retainers: a beehive retainer and a quick change type. 

Of course you need a bucking bar.  There are dozens of different styles and you can even make your own.  But I have only ever needed one, a #647.  The 647 seems about the right size for general use and the small end will even buck the hard-to-get-at rivets on Taylorcraft wing ribs.

Photo 2 shows some nice to have (some would say required) items for riveting.  The air drill is one of my favorite tools, I got it for $10 on eBay.  It's old and its castings are worn smooth from years of use, but it still works great and I love the high pitched whine it makes. 

Next to the drill is a rivet cutter.  With one of these you can buy a batch of long rivets and cut them to length as needed.

Also handy is an assortment of cleco fasteners.  I have 8 each of 1/8" and 3/32" clecos.  Some folks who build aluminum planes buy hundreds of clecos and wish they had more, but I've never needed more than 8.  You'll need a cheap cleco pliers to install and remove the clecos.

Finally in the photo is a little bottle of Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil.  I put 3 or 4 drops of oil in the air inlet of my air drill and rivet gun every time before I use them.

Return to Index

 

No comments: